Cleaning Woodwork and Caulking

Hi Everyone!  What a busy but wonderful weekend!  B and I got to spend some quality time, a lot of which was spent chugging away at the bathroom, but it was just wonderful.  Today we worked the Nursery at Church, had brunch with some friends at a fabulous BBQ restaurant, and then celebrated the announcement of B’s soon to be nephew with his family.  What a whirlwind of a weekend!

Here’s an update on some of the progress I’ve made in the bathroom.  First on the agenda was cleaning up the woodwork, that didn’t need a lot of patching.  If you remember from the other day I used TSP, which was a recommendation from the guys at Home Depot.  I donned my rubber gloves and tackled the rest of the baseboards, and the door frame.  Here are a couple before and afters:

Dirty, dirty wood:

A little TSP later, and it practically looks like I put a fresh coat of primer on!

The stuff works wonders!  And I’m psyched that most of the baseboards and door frame are in good enough shape that I don’t need to do much patching.  Woot!

Next on the bathroom list was to caulk some of the seams.  Aka spots like this:

 Off to Lowe’s this time, I checked in with the guys there for their recommendation on caulk for the bathroom, I knew I wanted something paintable, so that when it’s time to paint I know it will blend in alright.  This is what they suggested:

 I then grabbed a caulking gun my dad had in the basement, and inserted the bottle:

 Follow the directions on the bottle, but this is really easy to do!  I then snipped the top of the tip off at an angle, there are tiny numbers printed on the tip, so you know where to cut, depending on how big the crack you are trying to seal.

 I then grabbed a bucket of soapy warm water, a sponge, and some paper towels, and was ready to go!

The first thing you want to do is twist the end of the gun tight, squeeze the trigger, and apply caulk to your crack.  I worked in about 2 feet patches.  Once I had applied 2 feet of caulk, I loosened the gun so that none would leak out, used a paper towel to squish the caulk into place, and then went back over with the wet sponge to wipe away the excess.  The nice part is that the caulk is easy to clean up with a little soap and water.  How easy is that?!

Here are a couple spots I patched, gap on the left, caulked on the right:

 And here is what the seam looks like, so you can see what it looks like caulked and uncaulked (the area on the right has the seam of caulk already applied):

Much cleaner!  The next tricky area was caulking around the sink.  I applied painters tape, applied the caulk, wiped off the excess with the wet sponge, and then pulled off the painters tape before the caulk dried, to keep a nice straight line:

 This picture shows how much better the seam looks once caulk is applied, as opposed to the left corner that hasn’t been caulked yet:

I’m hoping to be back tomorrow with an update on patching the walls!  Can’t wait for this project to be done!!  Have a great week everyone!

Simply Living